Start Stop Transfer

Home Billing Start Stop Transfer

New Customers – Start Service

If you are a new BPU customer and need to establish a new account, please stop into the BPU Business Office at 8027 Highland Scenic Rd or call 218-825-3200 and complete the Utility Billing Application (found below).

Please download and fill out one of the forms below, print it and bring it with you to the BPU Business Office.

The application can also be faxed to BPU at 218-829-4703 or emailed to

Existing Customers – Moving

If you are already a BPU customer and are moving from one residence to another in our service area, please call 218-825-3200 to request a final reading.  BPU requires a 24 hour notice in order to do a final reading.

If you are a current customer and moving to another address, you will have to go through the application process again and bring in the necessary paperwork.

Existing Customers – Stop Service

If you are moving from your residence and no longer require service from BPU, please call 218-825-3200 and ask for a final reading.  BPU requires a 24 hour notice in order to do a final reading.

If you are selling your home, a final reading cannot be done until BPU has the name and telephone number of the new owner.

BPU asks that you provide a forwarding address to ensure you receive your final bill; also if you have paid a deposit and a refund is due, a valid forwarding address is required.

If you are renting a residence, an account cannot be put in your name until BPU has received a copy of your rental lease and driver’s license or photo ID.

Utility Billing Application – Residential Service

Utility Billing Application – Commercial Service

Utility Credit Reference Form

BPU Deposit Policy

New or existing customers may be required to pay a deposit if they have an unacceptable credit history. A residential deposit is a two month average bill and a commercial deposit is the highest bill in the last 12 months of billing history.

Read complete Customer Deposit Policy

Utility Credit Reference Form


If you are planning to be gone during the winter months, please call the BPU Business Office at 825-3200 to give us the following information.

  • The time period you will be gone.
  • Winter telephone number and/or emergency contact person while you are gone, if there should be an emergency with either the electric or water meter.
  • A forwarding address to mail your winter bills.
  • If you want the electric and/or water to be shut off, BPU needs at least a 24 hr. notice to schedule the appointment.  There will also be a $50 turn on fee billed to your account for each service when is turned on in the spring. If the water has been shut off, someone is required to be at the residence when the water is turned on.