Having Trouble Paying Your Bill?
Having Trouble Paying Your Utility Bill?
If you can’t pay your utility bill and are in disconnect status, there are several agencies that can help you pay your electric bill. There are very few agencies that will pay water and sewer charges. If you are behind on those charges, you will have to make an arrangement by calling 825-3223, to ensure that your water is not shut off.
Following is a list of local agencies that can help pay your utility bill:
- Lutheran Social Services – 716 E St NE – 218-829-5000
- Crow Wing County Social Services – 202 Laurel St – 218-824-1250
- Salvation Army – 424 Front St – 218-829-1120
- Bridges of Hope – 2011 6th St S – 218-825-7682
- St Vincent De Paul – 218-656-0074 (requires a home visit)
Minnesota Cold Weather Rule
The MN Cold Weather Rule does not forbid all winter disconnections. If you receive a Notice of Proposed Disconnection this winter, you must act immediately. If your heat is not affected by having your electric shut off, you are not protected by the MN Cold Weather Rule.
The MN Cold Weather Rule was established to protect residential customers from electrical service disconnection between October 15 and April 15. Cold Weather Rule protection is available if all of the following conditions exist:
- The disconnection would affect your main heating source.
- Your household meets Cold Weather Rule payment plan guidelines.
- You and Brainerd Public Utilities agree to a payment plan.
If you receive any form of public assistance, including energy assistance, between October 15 and April 15, you are eligible for Cold Weather Rule Protection.
Please click here for complete MN Cold Weather Protection Rule