Brainerd Public Utilities offers several ways to pay your utility bill each month.
To pay your bill online, click here: Pay Online . If you are a first time user, you will need to know your BPU account number and the amount of your last payment.
ENERGY ASSISTANCE RECIPIENTS – IF YOU ARE MAKING A PAYMENT ON YOUR WATER AND SEWER CHARGES, YOU HAVE TO CALL AND SPEAK TO A BPU REPRESENTATIVE.
Pay in Person
You can pay your bill in person Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM at the BPU Business Office located at 8027 Highland Scenic Rd.
Pay by Phone
You can make a payment 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, through our automated payment system. Please call 218-829-8726 – Option 3.
YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW YOUR BPU ACCOUNT NUMBER
Pay by Mail
You can mail your payment stub, along with a check or money order (please do not send cash), each month in the enclosed return envelope that you receive with your bill or mail it to BPU, P O Box 373, Brainerd MN 56401.
Please place your payment stub, check, or money order (please do not put cash), in return envelope and put your payment in one of the four drop boxes that BPU provides. BPU picks up the payments Monday through Friday at 7:00 AM.
Drop boxes are located at:
- East Brainerd Mall by The Dollar Store
- The Senior Citizens Center’s south entrance at 803 Kingwood St
- The southwest corner of South 7th Street and Laurel Street
- 8027 Highland Scenic Rd (BPU Business Office)
Automatic Payments (ACH)
Want one less check to write and ensure that your bill is paid on time? Click here ACH Form to download the bank pay form and fill it out and return to the BPU Business Office at 8027 Highland Scenic Rd. You can have the payment automatically deducted from your checking or savings account; or you can use a VISA or MasterCard credit or debit card. A voided check will be needed if you are using your checking/savings account. The payment will automatically be withheld on the due date of your bill each month. A 30 day written notice is needed to cancel your automatic payment.
Budget billing allows customers to pay the same amount each month, based on the average annual usage of your service address.
Each monthly bill will show your budget billing amount due, plus your actual energy usage. All budget billing accounts are re-evaluated every six months. Enrollment period is March and October each year. In order to sign up for budget billing, you have to have 12 months of billing history, a good payment history (no more than one penalty in a 12 month period) and remain in the program for 12 months. You will be automatically removed from budget billing if your account is in disconnect status. To make sure your bill is always paid on time, you may combine automatic payment with the budget billing option. For Budget Billing Policy, please click here (insert budget billing policy)
Budget Billing Eligibility
To be eligible for budget billing the customer must:
- Have a 12 month billing history at current place of residence.
- Be current in utility payments and have a good paying history. (No more than one (1) penalty in a 12 month period.) Account has to be paid in full when enrolling in the program.
- Agree to remain in the program for 12 months. After the 12 month period, a customer can be removed from budget billing by notifying BPU in writing or sending an e-mail that they no longer wish to be enrolled in the budget billing program. Customer would have to wait another 12 months before being re-enrolled.
- Agree to pay the full budget amount each month by the due date of customer’s utility bill.
- Agree that budget billing accounts are ineligible for time extensions or a payment arrangement to pay budget amount.
- Agree that after two (2) delinquent payments, or if account is in disconnect status the account will automatically be removed from budget billing and customer will have to wait 12 months, with a good paying history, before being allowed to enroll in the program again.